Monday, May 10, 2010

Sounds like Pentecost

Pentecost is one of my favourite times of the year, not least because we get to go crazy with colour and sounds.

Beyond the long list of great songs for Pentecost lies the possibility for pushing the images further using music as an illustrative tool as well as a means for community singing. What with the sounds of dry bones, wind, crackling flames, and many languages, this season has the potential to be the most interative and artistic of the lot.

As I was driving my son to school this morning I noticed someone has left a large coil of discard plastic tube on their nature strip. It's the kind you see on vaccuum cleaners with the concertina surface. I plan to go and pinch it for myself, because this stuff is fantastic for making a wind-whistling sound.

Cut off a long length, perhaps 1.5 meteres or more, and swing it around your head lassoo style. The sound I am expecting to make is a haunting whistling. This was something I observed others doing in an elective at one of our conferences. The mix of sound, physical energy and spectacle was something quite memorable, so much so that it was the first thing that popped into my head as I drove past the coiled pipe this morning - some 13 years later.  I am imagining several people walking the aisle ahead of the bible spinning this above their heads, calling people into worship and evoking thoughts of the Holy Spirit.

What creative sound feast will be created in your congregation this Pentecost?

You may also be interested in
What's Happening for Pentecost?
The Bright Wind is Blowing 
How to write a Soundscape

No comments: